Our History

There has been a place of worship on the site of the present parish church from about 1160. During the succeeding centuries the original building was altered, extended and - expensively repaired in 1853.

However, it became so unsafe that it had to be closed in 1879. Demolition work began in 1880. Various descriptions exist of the old church, also copies of a photograph taken in 1878.

The present parish church was consecrated in 1881. Some features of the old church were retained:

  • The Norman doorway
  • The font - installed in the present church and still in use
  • Stained glass from the chancel
  • Wood from the old pews - used to panel the clergy vestry
  • The frame of a 15C window - preserved in the vicarage garden

St. Michael's is a place of worship now, just as it was in 1160, eight hundred and fifty years ago.

A short extract from 'A History of The Parish Church of St. Michael, East Ardsley' - an interesting informative booklet by Jean M. Booth, B.A. available from the church.

Recent Photos of St Michael's can also be viewed as a slideshow.

St Michaels nave

St Michaels font
Images from the past

Pre 1881 church building - image from 1878

Our past preserved

view showing Norman doorway

Present porch showing the Norman doorway